What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Sunday, July 14, 2013

Brits Heart Burritos...who knew?


I'm back in San Francisco for the summer having survived my first year as a PhD student. I must say that there is nothing like being back home. I take my walks to the mercado for fresh produce and veggies or to La Palma for homemade tortillas and chicharrĂ³n. And I can't stop picking up some pandulce in the morning.


But let's talk about burritos. British burritos.

I went to the UK in late June for a conference. I have a friend who lives in London so I spent time in London before traveling to the conference location at Oxford.

I was shocked that London has joined the burrito craze. And unlike San Francisco, burritos are not cheap eats.
 
Adobo "Healthy, Fresh Mexican" on Holborn. About $9.05 for regular size.
Burrito Cafe with 2 locations in London. About $8.36 for a regular size.

Chilango with 5 locations in London. Almost $9 for a regular burrito.

Chilango is slang for someone from Mexico City. One of the owners is American, from Chicago. 

 

Cafe Don Quixote. The owner must be confused because the menu lists paninis and other sandwiches. It's not even Spanish food.

 Freebird Burritos with 5 locations. Since 2007!



 Loco Mexicano near Victoria Station. More than $15 for a burrito!

Mi Casa Burritos with 3 locations. This one is inside Victoria Station.

Taquitos near Victoria Station. About $8.36 for rgular size.

 Tortilla with 11 locations! "Real California burritos?" The cheapest place I found with $7.60 for a regular size

When you visit London from the Mission District of San Francisco, you seek pub food or Indian curry not a burrito made from Londoners. But I was curious. How would it taste? Would the salsa be authentic or just spicy ketchup? Would the tortilla be edible?

I went to the local Sainsbury's for some groceries and noticed that there is a Mexican food aisle now. Brits have access to Old El Paso brand (which is owned by Betty Crocker) or the scarier Discovery brand with its salsa ketchup, or liquid guacamole, and flatbread-like tortillas.


A better bet might be saving for a trip to San Francisco with room for tortillas stashed in suitcases.

No comments:

Post a Comment