What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Saturday, January 12, 2013

Los Coyotes

TAQUERIA LOS COYOTES

3036- 16th Street in between Wiese and Mission streets
http://www.taquerialoscoyotes.com/
 
PRICE: $6.25 without tax
Menu


Los Coyotes is located near the 16th Street BART station across from the Wells Fargo Bank. There is indoor seating, and the interior is brightly decorated with flags and banners as well as a large stain-glass image of  a calendar stone (piedra del sol). The bright tabletops are adorned with large reproductions of lotería cards. The menu includes burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and nachos.


My friend and I conducted this taste test on January 5, 2013. I ordered the regular chicken burrito with whole pinto beans.



OVERALL RATING: 7.5
(1= lowest, 10= highest)

 

CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 7

We ordered the chicken burrito. The meat tasty and freshly grilled.

Quality of Beans: 6
Good, fresh beans.

Quality of Rice: 6
Good rice.

Quality of Salsa: 8

Nice salsa. The salsa inside the burrito was good with chunky tomatoes and corn.
Los Coyotes has a salsa bar with mild and spicy salsas as well as mango salsa. The mango salsa was tasty! The bar also has radishes, pickled whole jalapenos, and carrot slices.
 
EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes.
There are baskets of red, blue, and yellow tortillas chips available by the register.
Free salsa? Yes. Salsa bar.

FINAL THOUGHTS  
We enjoyed Los Coyotes, and the chicken burrito was tasty. The décor is bright and fun. I enjoyed the creative menu selections; Los Coyotes offers French fries covered in guacamole (yum, avocado). I also ordered an horchata, and there were four agua fresca options (strawberry, melon, pineapple, and Jamaica). It is 16th Street so you will see anything and everything (e.g, public urination, fights, people shouting at the air).


I would return. I am still thinking about those guacamole fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment