What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Saturday, January 12, 2013

El Buen Sabor





TAQUERIA EL BUEN SABOR

697 Valencia Street in between 18th and Sycamore streets

PRICE: $7.18 ($6.60 without tax)

El Buen Sabor is located on the corner of Valencia and 18th streets. There is indoor seating with colorful murals painted on the inside and exterior walls (the columns are painted as palm trees). The menu includes burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and dinner plates.

My friend and I conducted this taste test on January 5, 2013. I ordered the regular chicken burrito with whole pinto beans.


 
OVERALL RATING: 5
(1= lowest, 10= highest)

 






CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 4
We ordered the chicken burrito. The meat was not flavorful and pretty bland. However, there was a good amount of meat used. 


FYI: When you order, the meat selections are in front of you. I noticed that there is a tofu option. I like vegetarian meals, but I was not ready to order a tofu burrito.

Quality of Beans: 6
Good, fresh beans.

Quality of Rice: 6
Good rice.

Quality of Salsa: 6
Nice salsa.

EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes. You are given chips at the register.
Free salsa? Yes. However, you are given one little plastic cup of salsa at the register.


FINAL THOUGHTS
El Buen Sabor is in a great location for the Valencia residents and hipster partiers. The murals give it a nice, fun atmosphere. We were disappointed by the flavorless meat and the lack of a salsa bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment