What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Saturday, November 3, 2012

La Cumbre




LA CUMBRE 
 
515 Valencia Street in between 16th and 17th streets

PRICE: $6.50 (not including tax)

La Cumbre is located on Valencia near 16th Street.There are tables and chairs inside with posters and photographs on the walls. The menu includes burritos, tacos, quesadillas, nachos, and dinner plates. La Cumbre advertises that it uses olive oil (not lard), ingredients without preservatives, and range chicken and grass-fed beef.

My friend and I conducted this taste test on October 26, 2012. I ordered the grilled chicken burrito with whole pinto beans.

OVERALL RATING: 8
(1= lowest, 10= highest)




CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 8
We ordered the grilled chicken burrito. The meat was delicious and juicy. I watched the cook chop the chicken breast before my eyes.

Quality of Beans: 6
Good, fresh beans.

Quality of Rice: 6
Good rice.

Quality of Salsa: 6
Nice salsa.

EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes. The chips are a bit thick.
Free salsa? Yes.

FINAL THOUGHTS
La Cumbre is a popular taqueria. It has been around since 1967 and touts itself as "the birthplace of the now famous 'Mission Style' burrito." El Faro says the same thing.

La Cumbre is open late on Friday and Saturday nights so many hipsters leave the Valencia bars and fill up on huge burritos. The fresh ingredients without additives work. The chicken meat was very flavorful. My friend and I commented that we would go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment