What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Saturday, November 3, 2012

El Toro






EL TORO (San Francisco)
598 Valencia Street at the corner of 17th Street

PRICE: $7.00 (not including tax)

El Toro is located at the corner of Valencia and 17th streets. There are tables with benches inside. The menu includes burritos, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos, etc.

My friend and I conducted this taste test on October 26, 2012. I ordered the grilled chicken burrito with whole pinto beans.

OVERALL RATING: 5
(1= lowest, 10= highest) 



CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 4
We ordered the grilled chicken burrito. Unfortunately, the meat was flavorless.

Quality of Beans: 6
Good, fresh beans.

Quality of Rice: 6
Good rice.

Quality of Salsa: 8
Nice and spicy salsa with fresh jalapeno pieces. El Toro has a great salsa bar with 8 different types of salsas plus there are roasted whole jalapenos, radishes, and lime wedges.

EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes. The chips are a little greasy.
Free salsa? Yes! Lots of options.

FINAL THOUGHTS
El Toro is a popular, long-standing taqueria. It is a favorite of many folks in the Mission. The burrito is basic. I wish the chicken had more flavor. However, the salsa bar is great. I also ordered a sandia (watermelon) agua fresca, and that was wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment