What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Monday, July 15, 2013

Mission Burrito-- Oxford, UK

When I arrived in Oxford, the college town has a burrito place called Mission Burrito. Yes, the place is named after my neighborhood. I saw it as a challenge. I had to order one.

Mission Burrito in Oxford (created by 2 Brits who lived in SF over a decade ago).

Hmm. There is a board in the window explaining Mexican ingredients: pinto beans, guacamole, tomatillo. For some ingredients, there is a pronunciation guide, chipotle or "chee-POT-leh."
When I entered Mission Burrito, I had a strange flashback. The walls contain large photographs of Mission District taquerias. Should I eat here even though the owners are advertising taquerias in SF?

















 

Mission Burrito has great advertising. The comment cards are brightly-colored and humorous postcards.


They also give out a cardboard wrestling ring for thumb wars.


I decided to take the burrito challenge. The restaurant was busy, and there were few seats available. Like most taquerias, you order at the counter and tell the person what you want in your burrito. Ordering took FOREVER because the customers asked the workers about all the ingredients. "Which salsa is not spicy? What's in the chicken? Which beans are better?"

It was a little comical to hear the customers mispronounce words. When it was my turn, I was ready.

A regular chicken burrito with pinto beans and lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, and habanero salsa.

Of course, my American accent gave me away. I was a woman on a mission--a Mission burrito mission. Here is my burrito and my review.


MISSION BURRITO

8 St. Michaels Street (at Cornmarket), Oxford, OX1 2DU
http://missionburrito.co.uk/
PRICE: $8.29 total
Menu

Mission Burrito is located on a side street off of Cornmarket. There is indoor seating, either bar stools along the walls or two large communal tables. The interior is clean. The menu includes burritos, tacos, and burrito bowls.

I conducted this taste test on June 25, 2013.


 













OVERALL RATING: 4
(1= lowest, 10= highest)

 

CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 4

I ordered chicken. It was spicy with chipotle flavor. A little too overwhelming. 

Quality of Beans: 3
The pinto beans had a strange taste. I realized that they are peppery. The chef flavors the beans with black pepper, lots of it.


Quality of Rice: 3
Mission Burrito uses Basmati rice which is great for Indian cuisine. California burritos use CA long-grain rice which doesn't separate as easily as Basmati and is softer.

Quality of Salsa: 6

The habanero salsa is spicy which surprised me. It had a good kick. The pico de gallo does have diced jalapeno in it.
 
EXTRAS
Free chips? No. 
Free salsa? No. There are bottles of Cholula hot sauce on the tables.
FINAL THOUGHTS  
Mission Burrito did surprise me. I thought the burrito would be awful. The owners really tried to duplicate burritos from the Mission District. However, the owners are not chefs. They do not know which ingredients to use. Also, some produce is not the same in the UK. The avocados, chiles, and tomatoes do not have time to mature. 

At first, I gave the Mission Burrito a higher rating, until the next day. Not to be disgusting, but I spent my morning on the toilet. After all the burrito taste testings I have conducted, this is the first time I got sick. 

Lesson: Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment