What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pancho Villa



PANCHO VILLA
3071-16th Street @ Hoff/Valencia

www.panchovillasf.com

PRICE: $7.75 (including tax)

Pancho Villa is located on 16th Street between Mission and Valencia streets north of the 16th Street BART station. When my friend worked nearby, she enjoyed going there to pick up a burrito. However, it has become a hipster hangout. There is also a security guard at the door.

I conducted this taste test on June 29, 2010. My friend Nadja and I rated the chicken asado and chicken verde regular burritos.

OVERALL RATING: 5.5 (6= me, 5= friend)
(1= lowest, 10= highest)


Chicken Asado (Grilled) Burrito


Chicken Verde (Green Sauce) Burrito


CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 4
The chicken meat was dry and flavorless. It surprised my friend since the chicken verde is stewed in sauce.

Quality of Beans: 5
Moist.

Quality of Rice: 5
Flavorful.

Quality of Salsa: 7
The pico de gallo salsa inside the burrito is good: fresh cilantro and crisp jalapenos. The salsa bar is a highlight of the place. There are at least four types of salsas (pico de gallo, salsa verde) and jalapenos (marinated and grilled), cilantro, onions, etc. My friend and I made two trips each to the salsa bar.

Note: This burrito was expensive!! I have never paid $7.75 for a REGULAR burrito in the Mission. RIDICULOUS!

EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes
Free salsa? Yes

FINAL THOUGHTS
I would have given Pancho Villa a lower rating but the salsa bar boosted my rating. My friend said that she would never order a chicken verde burrito again. I would never go there again, because $7.75 is a ripoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment