What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Doña Tere's Market



DOÑA TERE'S MARKET
2780-21st Street @ Florida


PRICE: $5.50 (no tax)

Doña Tere's Market is located across from Pirate Cat Radio. It functions as a corner store and mini taqueria. A chalkboard outside advertises its menu of burritos, tacos, pupusas, tamales, burgers, and hot dogs.

Going here is quite an experience. I liken it to eating at the home of your friend's mother. Everyone in the family helps out and has multiple jobs. A woman who is also the cook takes your order. Another woman sat in the corner chopping and dicing lettuce and tomatoes. Then she refilled the salsa containers. People come in and out of the store constantly.

While waiting, I watched a movie on Univision. Then I had a conversation with someone in Spanish. Everyone was super friendly.

However, don't be in a rush because the food takes awhile. A party of four had ordered before me so my simple burrito took a long time.

I conducted this taste test on June 30, 2010.

Note: This burrito was 7.25 inches in length and 2.33 inches in diameter.

OVERALL RATING: 6
(1= lowest, 10= highest)




CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 5
The meat was good. However, it was a little dry. See the note below.

Quality of Beans: 6
Nice homemade whole pinto beans.

Quality of Rice: 5
Dry. See the note below.

Quality of Salsa: 6
The pico de gallo salsa inside the burrito is good. The containers of pico de gallo, salsa verde, and jalapenos were on the table. The cook gave me a cup to take the salsas home.

Note: I saw the cook warm up the beans, rice, and chicken in the microwave. That's why the rice and meat were so dry. I did like that the tortilla was grilled.

EXTRAS
Free chips? No
Free salsa? Yes

FINAL THOUGHTS
I liked this place for its homey feel. The burrito was average but the atmosphere was warm. Also, the burrito was a good size for the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment