What's this about?

San Francisco's Mission District is synonymous with burritos. Where else can you find multiple taquerias in a two-block radius? It seems like everyone has an opinion on what place makes the best burrito in the Mission. Or you can go on Yelp and find testimonies on the most amazing, mouth-watering burritos. Often, those recommendations have disappointed me every time.

However, what credentials do those reviewers have? Are they from the Mission? Are they Mexican? Do they make Mexican food?

No. No. No.

I am 4th generation San Franciscan from the Mission District and a proud Chicana. My mother is an excellent cook and taught me to make tacos, enchiladas, burritos, posole, tamales, etc.

I have decided to create a blog about my quest for the best Mission burrito. I will eat a burrito from every taqueria in the Mission and rate them according to a scorecard. Check for my results.


Thursday, June 24, 2010

El Metate



EL METATE (con sabor a Mexico)
2406 Bryant Street @ 22nd


PRICE: $5.50 (including tax)

El Metate is a place people rave about. Chef Joanne Weir made it famous on her cooking show. There is indoor and outdoor seating.

Cook's Night Out: Joanne Weir

I conducted this taste test on June 5, 2010. I went with three fellow San Franciscans.

NOTE: I didn't order a chicken burrito because I didn't like the chicken options (breaded chicken, chicken in red sauce, chicken in mole). Two of us ordered carnitas burritos and the other two ordered carnitas tacos.

OVERALL RATING: 7
(1= lowest, 10= highest)




CONTENTS

Quality of Meat: 8
The carnitas is great. However, we commented that the burritos needed more meat.

Quality of Beans: 5
Average.

Quality of Rice: 5
Average.

Quality of Salsa: 7
The accompanying red salsa was good. The cilantro inside the burrito was fresh.

Note: The burrito was small in diameter.

EXTRAS
Free chips? Yes (but they only gave me 5 chips)
Free salsa? Yes

FINAL THOUGHTS
The carnitas was really tasty. However, I don't understand why people rave about El Metate. It's good but not a deal for the price and size. I will go back again to try a chicken burrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment